Monday, August 11, 2008

First Practice


Well it came at last.... the big day of first paddle practice! the 16 or so of my team-mates show up at the appointed time, like trout at a fish farm. confusion would not be a good word to describe the feeling in the room...more like, AHHHHHHHGGGGGG! we soon lined up our twenty chairs and started to place paddlers. Naturally cause I'm one of the oldest members I got stuck in the back...(coach says it where the best paddlers go) yea...right.....did I mention our paddle coach?he's a veteran of the dragon boat wars...his calm persona and tactful way of encouraging us paddlers is inspiring! why we even nicknamed him "The Drake" because on the surface ...calm, cool, determined..but underneath, holy cow he must be going 60!...look I have a picture of our fearless paddle coach...(we are so gonna win)OK so The Drake was telling us "you only have to paddle for 90 seconds" yea right I don't even walk for 90 seconds, and if I have to go 1oo feet I take the car.
The Drake says that by the time of the race, we'll be able to paddle for 200 seconds....we'll see.Some of the team members are pretty pumped up ...to get out and "paddle like they mean it"Paddles Up!

No comments: